Sunday, November 22, 2009

Entrevista: Mama's Dirty Little Secret

Straight out of Brooklyn, NY, it's Mama's Dirty Little Secret! They rock hard, they rock sexy and I can dig it. I reached out to them and they graciously agreed to answer some questions for WANLS....(thanks guys!)

You're gonna feel alot sexier after you read this:)



WANLS: Tell me the name of your band, how it came about, if you ever went by another name and how you guys formed a band.

The Deacon: We're Mama's Dirty Li'l Secret, here to spread the Universal Truth of Mama - to rock hard, rock sexy! We knew we had to have "Mama" in the name and we've always been pretty dirty and you wouldn't really know that just by looking at us... well, I guess you do now.

Damn: I was tired of the motherfuckin' bullshit. I just wanted to rock and I wanted to find two other motherfuckers to rock with me.

The Monster: We met when we were all abducted by the same mothership.

WANLS: Introduce me to the band members and whether they play/sing/etc.

MDLS: The Deacon - the neon-Romeo (vocals, guitar); The Monster: bass, bg vocals

Damn: drums

WANLS: Throw your sets up! Fill in the blanks: We love living in ______, because ______.

The Deacon: We love living in Brooklyn, because Brooklyn rocks! There's a Brooklyn style, a Brooklyn attitude that says "I do me, you do you and we're cool."

Damn: Brooklyn in the home of the new renaissance being squeezed through the butthole of Hollywood East, that's happening right now.

The Monster: Sin. because we're gonna have hell to pay anyway. And New York because it's the only place you can find a real slice of pizza.

WANLS: Do you guys identify with a particular genre?

The Deacon: soul punk.

Damn: Mama Soul and Papa Punk!

WANLS: What are your musical influences?

The Deacon: The Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Fishbone, 24/7 Spyz, Lenny Kravitz, B-52s, Nine Inch Nails, The Clash, Seal, Prince. The 80's rule!

Damn: The drummers who really rock my world are dudes who just love their fucking drums. Like they're fucking them. Like John "Johnny Mac" Macaluso, Vinne Paul, Tommy Lee, Billy Cobham, Bobby Rock. I set up the kit like a woman (expressionistic, if you will): cymbals are like the hair, the ass is the bass, the toms are like the titties, and of course the snare is the sweet center.

The Monster: On the bass I have no influences, I only have inspirations.

WANLS: How would you describe your music to someone who has never heard it before?

The Deacon: soul punk.

The Monster: A little punk, a slice of metal and a dash of soul for flavor.

WANLS:Do you have or are you signed to a record label?

The Deacon: Our own label Shut Your Mouth.

Damn: We're under the corporation of Shut Your Mouth.

The Monster: I don't believe in record labels, that's why we're on our super secret label.

WANLS: What are some of your most memorable shows?

Damn: Any show where people are rocking is a memorable show.

The Monster: I remember this outdoor show we did in Brooklyn, sun shining on my face, motorcycles, chicks...

The Deacon: We try to make every show memorable. Folks put out some effort to go out and expect to be entertained when they see a show. They want to carry the experience with them to tell their friends or coworkers. I'm the exact same when I go to a show; I want to be moved. Make me laugh, cry... make me feel something! So, we keep that in mind for our live shows. And that's what we do, we give you a show.

WANLS: Who writes your music?

MDLS: Damn and I started writing "In Your Mouth" before we unearthed The Monster. But now that it's out, the three of us have been writing together and coming up with some new, fun shit.

WANLS: Tell me about the in-studio/music making process for your band.

The Monster: It's all about intention. You have to know what you idea is and it has to follow through the entire song. My process is... anything; I can write from a drum beat, a melody, sometime it's just a title in my head. The title will give me the intention.

Damn: I'm more in line with how Monster writes. I will write on anything except the guitar. I really love writing on the bass. I'm most inspired by everyday things.

The Deacon: We get all of the songs written and worked out before we hit the studio. Which, for right now, is my laptop and the MDLS headquarters! I actually hate recording. It bores the fuck out of me! Most of the time you're just sitting around waiting. BORING. Although, it beats sitting behind a desk answering emails for some company any fucking day! As for writing, I'm used to sitting in my dimly lit room, my cave, and let the Universe guide the way. I usually write the music first. I just can't write full lyrics without the music. Like a painter, the music is a canvas for me, I need to know the parameters in which I'm working.

WANLS: What direction do you see the band going in 2010? Any specific plans?

The Deacon: We need more wenches.

Damn: Beginning our stride on world domination.

The Monster: (imitating The Brain) Doing the same thing we do every night... trying to take over the world.

WANLS: Which do you prefer: studio time/creating new music or touring/live shows?

Damn: I think that they all feed into each other. You have to share the creation. You have to go from the creating which give Mama her being, her sound. But you have to share it, you can't just keep it locked it up in a room.

The Deacon: 1) creating new music 2) live shows 3) touring 4) studio (blah!)

The Monster: Studio is the lowest. It's all about getting to the live show.

WANLS: Your fantasy show or tour line up?

The Deacon: 10,000 sexy motherfuckers singing "Rock & Roll Whore!"

Damn: Headlining the New Year's Eve world party!

The Monster: No comment.

WANLS: Describe what its like to experience your live shows.

The Deacon: You're going to feel a lot sexier than your friends the next day.

Damn: People come to see MDLS 'cause they know what's up. People come to see a show and we're glad to give it to them.

The Monster: "High energy."

WANLS: Fill in the blanks: If it hadn't been for___, we would have _____.

MDLS: If it hadn't been for A Clockwork Orange, we would have been wearing purple!

WANLS: Do you have any new music being released soon?

Damn: Hell, yeah, it ain't gonna stop. Soon... and after that... and after that.

The Deacon: We just released "In Your Mouth," MDLS' full debut album. And we'll be putting out material frequently in 2010. I absolutely love the fact that we're in complete control of our music; when we release a song, where we release a song, even how we release a song.

WANLS: Do you have any upcoming shows?

Damn: Yes, we do. Come check us out.

The Deacon: December 1, 2009 - 8:30PM @ The Trash Bar (256 Grand St., Brooklyn, NY 11211; 718-599-1000; Cost: $6)

WANLS: Are there videos to any of your songs?

Damn: We got some shit coming for ya.

The Deacon: We're in pre-production.

WANLS: What's the #1 priority for your band right now?

MDSL: To Rock Hard, Rock Sexy!

Damn: ...all over

WANLS: Plans to tour any time soon?

The Deacon: No plans for our own tour, but we'd certainly consider a slot on a cool-ass tour.

WANLS: Where can we find you on the web?

The Deacon: www.MamasDirtyLilSecret.com. Start there and you can get the links to all of our social spaces.

Damn: You can find out what's up!

WANLS: How can we buy your music?

MDLS: CD Baby (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mamasdls)

iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/in-your-mouth/id339466720)

The Deacon: We're offering singles for the sexy price of .69¢ at CD Baby.

WANLS: How can we contact you for booking?

The Deacon: Booking@MamasDirtyLilSecret.com or call 917.880.8298.

WANLS: Fill in the blank: People would never guess that ___________

The Deacon: I love rescuing wenches from evil at Renaissance Fairs!

The Monster: I boldly walk into women's bathrooms.

Damn: I'd like to make Oprah my cougar wife.

WANLS: Best thing about being in your band?

The Monster: It makes me feel all dirty inside.

Damn: We get to live the vibrations of soul punk.

The Deacon: We get to do whatever the fuck we want!

WANLS: Fill in the blank: one day they're probably gonna name a ________ after our band.

The Deacon: sex toy line

Damn: We'll put KISS to shame.

WANLS: Last and most importantly, if you were stranded on a desert island with your bandmates, who would go cannibal first?

The Monster: (raises hand first)

Damn: Monster would - after 5 hours of rehearsal!

The Deacon: Like in the movie "Alive?" I'd eat Monster's ass to keep me alive for a couple of weeks.



Thanx guys!!!! I appreciate it:)

Now don't you feel dirty after reading that? Take a cold shower and then go join the mailing list on their website: www.MamasDirtyLilSecret.com, so you can stay up to date on all their