Thursday, August 6, 2009

Liberty and Justice for (Not Quite) All



"Prison is a second-by-second assault on the soul, a day-to-day degradation of the self, an oppressive steel and brick umbrella that transforms seconds into hours and hours into days." -Mumia Abu-Jamal

Mumia Abu-Jamal, a brilliant writer, journalist and activist, has been on Pennsylvania's Death Row for more than 20 years. His case, and the cases of many other brothers and sisters who now comprise the population of this country's prison industrial complex, should always be on our hearts and minds. Mumia's case, in particular has touched my life. He is one of my literary heroes and I admire the revolutionary flame that burns within his spirit. I find myself thinking of him....his story, his words, his fight all the time. I can't forget it...I don't want to ever forget it. He is, as you all are, a part of me. We are all interconneccted in this journey as we proceed down life's path. If you have not realized that, I suggest you take some time to ponder that point. Our stories, our struggles, our pain, our joy....all intertwined. I am because you are and you are because I am. Mumia's revolution, Mumia's fight, Mumia's oppression....they are all my own, as well.

Despite being incarcerated, Abu-Jamal has continued to use his words to inspire and uplift, both in his writings and through a series of recordings aired on various radio outlets by way of the Prison Radio Project.

If you don't know about Mumia Abu-Jamal, I suggest starting your research at www.freemumia.com. We must remember all of the brothers and sisters who have been persecuted, or slain in the name of revolution. We cannot forget about the political prisoners, both dead (in a sense...revolution is immortal) and alive...Mumia Abu-Jamal, Kwame Cannon, Akil Al-Jundi, Lolita Lebron, Robert King Wilkerson, Leonard Peltier, Herman Wallace, Albert Woodfox, Assata Shakur and many, many other warriors. We must remember them, honor their struggle and not let the revolution die.

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal....free all political prisoners. And to those who lost thier lives in the struggle....you now have the ultimate freedom....may your message live on.......

Love and light...